configuring htmlview / gnome default browser

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Thu Jan 29 08:07:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 12:54, Youssef Makki wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I've been - and without success - trying to change default browser
> behavior in Gnome. First off, I looked at /usr/bin/htmlview, which
> mentions /etc/htmlview.conf and ~/.htmlviewrc, however does not mention
> the options/syntax I can use. Some googling reveled that I should add
> "X11BROWSER=/usr/bin/mozilla-firebird" to the ~/.htmlviewrc, which
> doesn't seem to work consistently. The other problem is with
> gnome-default-applications-properties (Preferences - Preferred
> Applications). It tends to forget what I set in "Select a Web Browser",
> and it never remembers what I set in "Custom Web Browser",
> "/usr/bin/mozilla-firebird" in my case. I snooped around in the gconf
> editor, found a few keys, edited to no effect.
> Any ideas here?
>
> Thanks!

this is how i did it:

#X11BROWSERS_GNOME="/usr/bin/mozilla /usr/bin/epiphany /usr/bin/galeon"
X11BROWSERS_GNOME="/usr/bin/mozilla-firebird"
#X11BROWSERS_GENERIC="/usr/bin/mozilla /usr/bin/netscape"
X11BROWSERS_GENERIC="/usr/bin/netscape"

i basically commented out the gnome and generic browsers. i only kept
mozilla-firebird for gnome and netscape for generic. i'm sure there's a
better way. but that makes mine open html files in firebird.

good luck!

dex