kernel headers - where to put?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 29 09:52:02 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 29.01.2004 schrieb cdrobsonjr at netscape.net um 08:22:
> I have used up2date to get the latest released kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
> and my nvidia video driver no longer works.
> I downloaded the latest version of nVidia's shell installer program,
> but it complains of not having "precompiled kernel interface".
> It offers to try and get one from its own site, but when I say, yes,
> and it tries, it does not find one that matches my level of kernel.
> up2date also installed the latest kernel-source and kernel-docs, but
> apparently does not get the latest kernel headers??  I did a search
> and only found the original kernel headers (2115).
> So, anyway, I went to download.fedora.redhat.com and got the kernel
> headers (both athlon and i686), but I don't know the appropriate
> spot in the directory tree to put them so that they will be found
> by nVidia's install shell script.
> Anyone shed some more light on this subject for me?  I want to get
> X running again on this new kernel.  I'm having to post this with
> windoze <shudder>.
> Thanks,
> Doug

Check which packages you really had installed!

rpm -qa | grep kernel | sort
rpm -qa | grep header | sort

You need the kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl if you have the .2149
kernel running to build the NVidia driver module.

The header are glibc dependant and not based on a specific kernel! So
you can't have found kernel header .2115.

$ rpm -qa | grep header | sort
glibc-headers-2.3.2-101.4
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.36

This is what you see if you installed the header packages in an
up-to-date state.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 10:48:09 up 4 days, 18:26, load average: 0.27, 0.37, 0.18
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]