Migrating from RH6.2 to Fedora

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 29 17:13:00 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 29.01.2004 schrieb Jim Carlson um 17:58:
> All / Anyone,
>
> I am in the process of swapping out a web server / mail server system that
> is currently running RH 6.2. I have loaded a new machine with Fedora and
> have all running as I expect.
>
> The next step is to move all accounts and mail to the Fedora system. I am
> trying to do this at a scheduled time and without major disruptions of
> service.
>
> I am in search of a "howto" or series of "copy this" "tar that" instructions
> that can help in this process.
>
> I am mainly interested in transferring accounts, passwords and mail folders.
>
> Thanks
> Jim Carlson

Please do NOT hijack foreign threads in future! Sending a new mail (no
reply to another mail) use a fresh new mail window. Otherwise you mail
contains false references to a not relatet thread!

To you problem: you will need to transfer /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow,
/etc/group, /etc/gshadow. Just take the user account data from these
files and copy it into the same files on the new system. You can copy
the whole /var/spool/mail folder to the new system. Same with the user's
home directories. By copying the password file parts you make sure the
UIDs and GIDs do not change. The content of the document root of the
apache you can copy too.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 18:12:33 up 3:00, 7 users, 0.00, 0.05, 0.10
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]