Fewer partitions are better (Re: Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices)

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Jan 29 17:52:22 UTC 2004

dballester at kernpharma.com wrote:
> Hi Paul:
>
>       What do you understand for 'rebuild' a system?  Do you mean backup
> data, rebuild partitions and restore data? Fresh install? Rebuild using
> same system moving partitions while is up&running?

If your user data is on a separate partition, it makes it -much- easier
to perform a clean install (either of the current or a new OS version)
on the 'os' partitions without worrying about the integrity of your user
data safe on it's own partition.

A long time ago I used to install Suns with a reasonably complex
arrangement of partitions (separate /var to prevent logs from filling up
/ and crashing the system, separate /usr mounted ro for extra security
against hackers, separate /tmp (pre tmpfs), ...) but it seems to me now
that the more complex your partitioning, the more likely they are to
give you trouble.

For example, when sun and their sw vendors started providing software
that installs in /opt (which was part of /) it caused a big hassle (/
didn't have room for giant software packages, /usr did!) involving
convincing various installation tools to ignore that it's installation
directories were now symlinks. Also, in general, the more you break up
your filesystem, the more likely you are to have plenty of free space on
one partition when another fills up unexpectedly.

Now I use just /, /usr/data and /boot (and swap) and life has generally
been easier.