questions about grub and lilo

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Thu Jan 29 21:18:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:45:46PM -0800, xiaohuli at alumni.princeton.edu wrote:
> What are my options at this point ?  Can I change
> grub.conf file under grub ?

Grub has an entire shell available, where you can search and boot specific
kernels.

Do you remember in which particion your /boot resides? Lets suppose it's in
/dev/hda3. On grub:

root (hd0,2)  # on grub discs and partitions start at 0
kernel /vmlinuz root=LABEL=/  # you can use tab for file completion (also on root (hd...))
or
kernel /boot/vmlinuz ...
initrd /initrd-...
boot

> How do i do it ?  If I
> reinstall Fedora, would it help ?  I am very reluctant
> to do something like fdsk /mbr.

Fdisk /mbr never hurts. You may need to reinstall grub or lilo afterwards,
though. In my particular case, I never install a boot loader on the MBR
record, so I never get that problem.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha