Windows worms and mail server config

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Fri Jan 30 07:00:21 UTC 2004

Hi,
[snip]>
 I want to avoid sending unnecessary bounces (specially because I'm the
> postmaster for a domain that has about 1300 users and lots of virii
> bounces dailly , which are almost driving me mad, so I want to avoid
> unnecessary pain to other domain admins) ...
> Should I just reject messages containing the damned extensions
(scr,com,pif,bat)
[/snip]
is one possibility, but in this case, don't forget the simplest things:
a) exe- and com-files
b) files within a zipped or tarred archive
[snip]
>The second option leaves the risk of someone sending a valid pif or bat
file that has "format c: /X /Q"  , "deltree c: /y" or something like that
, but
[/snip]
If you have a good antivirus-kit, it will recognize the virus, nevermind
the options...there has still prevention-work to be done for end-users,
being secure about the source of the sender and what hes sending. Usually,
you can config  not to send bounce-messages. There are advantages and
disadvantages of this:
bouncing:
+ lesser traffic
+ not filling up mailbox
- sender doesn't know and floods others mailboxes with virus

+ sender knows about his virus and can fight against
- can cause immense traffic

> Right now my server is a standard redhat 9 at work and a FC1 at home ,
> both using sendmail... How can I do this?
Think about using amavis. Infos can be found at http://www.amavis.org .
Make sure your antivirus-kit is supported.
> (hints for qmail and postfix are welcome also , as we're thinking about
> switching from sendmail to qmail or postfix)
Amavis works with sendmail, postfix and many more. In the new version, you
also can handle spam with...

HTH
Roger