Xine broke mplayer?

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Fri Jan 30 13:08:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 12:41, Ben Steeves wrote:
> There were no error messages in either Mplayer or Xine's output, and the
> problem went away after restarting the X server.  But it's still very,
> very weird. :-/

Not terribly weird.  Which video output driver were you using?  Probably
Xv if mplayer detected that it was enabled.  I've had Xv settings messed
up by various programs.  I believe the settings should reset when the X
server is restarted.

mplayer will output something like this just before playing:
  VO: [xv] 576x304 => 576x324 Planar YV12

If using Xv then you can query/set the settings with xvattr command.
Xine also has an graphical interface to manipulate Xv settings.

$ xvattr -a XV_SATURATION -v 0
Found Xv 2.2
XV_SATURATION set to 0

Now your video is black and white.