"ntpdate" versus "ntpd"

bear at amberorder.com bear at amberorder.com
Fri Jan 30 17:52:40 UTC 2004

I read some of the replies here, and tried the 'ntpd -q' method, which seems
to hang for more than the expected amount of time.  One item worth noting is
"ntpd -q" (rightfully) complains that the socket for port 123 is in use if
the ntpd process is already running.

Some time ago I started googling into NTP to find the answer to your
question, and only came up with a sort of "lesser of two evils":

service ntpd stop && ntptimeset -s && service ntpd start

As expected, "ntptimeset -s" would also complain about the in-use socket if
the daemon is already running.  It also uses the existing ntp.conf for time
sources.

John Stroud
<Insert some clever sig here.>