"Lock" screen in fedora with real-time movement?

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Fri Jan 30 20:15:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 15:21, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> Julian Underwood wrote:
> > Is there a way to "lock" the screen in Fedora and still see everything
> > which is happening on the screen, as if it were unlocked?  That is, if
> > you try and do something (i.e. move mouse, use keyboard) the console
> > will say "no, enter password."  Ideas?
>
> Sounds like a transparent xscreensaver module would do the trick. I
> haven't looked at xscreensaver code in a while, but I don't think it
> would be too difficult, and I can definately see applications for
> something like this.

I think that a xscreensaver module will not able to do that, but i may
be wrong, read the following from the xscreensaver man page:

 "When it is time to activate the screensaver, a full-screen black
window is  created  on  each screen of the display.  Each window is
created in such a way that, to any subsequently-created programs, it
will  appear to  be  a  ‘‘virtual root’’ window.  Because of this, any
program which draws on the root window (and which understands virtual
roots)  can  be used as a screensaver."