Intel i865 video adapter

Chris Purcell redhat at cjp.us
Fri Jan 30 20:50:11 UTC 2004

I'm running Fedora on a Dell Optiplex SX270.  I'm having a problem with
the video adapter (Intel 865) where I can't get it to use any resolution
higher than 640x480.  I know that there are known issue's with the Intel
i845 and i865 chipsets, but I was able to get around this problem on the
Optiplex SX260 using the i845 chipset.  In the BIOS, I set the video
buffer RAM to 8MB (from 1MB) and it fixed the issue.  The SX270 uses the
Intel 865 video card, and the BIOS fix doesn't seem to do anything with
this card. Is there anything else that I can try to get Linux going on the
SX270?

Thanks,
Chris