Metacity

Fri Jan 30 22:09:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 15:45, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
> > To go to sawfish, you should be able to open a terminal window and use:
> >
> > killall metacity; sawfish &
> >
> > then
> >
> > gnome-session-save
>
> The first three times I tried that it failed because metacity restarted
> before sawfish started.
>
> The fourth time it worked.

I have seen variations on the above command with a 'sleep 10;' command
prior to the 'sawfish &', but I do not know if that makes a big
difference. I never had a problem with MC restarting....could just be me
though...

> Apparantly, however, my troubled user went and put in their own private
> installation of IceWM (which I haven't tried or seen personally) which
> allegedly is playing nicer with Gnome than sawfish was, and does all the
> little things he wanted. *sigh* He understands that he's now officially
> unsupported and on his own.

There were some virtual desktop issues with Sawfish as I recall, which
were moderately frustrating.

LOL. Life would be boring (if not easier) if folks actually followed
support policy....

;-)

> I've decided I like the alt+click to raise a window better than the
> 'original' click-to-raise, because it doesn't pass the click through to
> the underlying application (which often caused trouble).

I like the focus follows mouse functionality (but not raise), which fits
with the way I tend to work on a desktop. However, the change in
Metacity behavior to force one to have to click on the window
decorations to raise the window was frustrating, especially if you tend
to use a "thin" WM theme. Having to press yet another key, for me, adds
to the work flow.

That is (one of the reasons) why I went to XFWM4. It can be configured
in a variety of ways. For more info on the WM settings, you can review
the XFWM4 online documentation here:

http://members.home.nl/xfce4/documentation/xfwm4.html

The good news in all of this is that we have choices...

HTH,

Marc