Can't seem to disable STARTTLS in Fedora sendmail

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Fri Jan 30 23:57:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 16:18, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 30.01.2004 schrieb Wayne Johnson um 20:32:
> > We have a new Fedora system that is suppose to send it's mail (using
> > sendmail, no flames PLEASE!), to smtp.comcast.net.  When we attempt to
> > send it from a local account, we get an error back that the user is
> > invalid.  Strange, but it works find for mail being relayed from/for
> > other windows machines.
>
> [ snip ]
>
> The following may help. MSGID
> <pan.2003.12.09.20.06.13.406002 at SPAMmindspring.com> on
> comp.mail.sendmail 9th December 2003
>
> ### quote ###
>
> I'll be the first to admit I'm not even close to an expert on sendmail.
> I've just spent hours and hours working on this, so I thought I'd share
> my
> solution. Hopefully it will save time and trouble for someone else.
>
> My setup:
>  sendmail 8.12.8, running on Red Hat Linux 8.0 This box is the outgoing
>  mail server for my home network (which uses the fake domain name
>  homenet.local).
> My goal:
>  Have my server forward all its outgoing mail to my ISP's SMTP server
> (smtp.comcast.net), which requires a username and password.
>
>  Below are my relevant configuration files, with some notes on each one.
>
> Here are the active lines from my sendmail.mc:

snip...

> This is my authinfo file:
>
> Authinfo:smtp.comcast.net "U:myusername" "I:myusername" "P:mypa55word"
> "R:"
>
> Notes:
> - This is a plaintext file, that contains the ISP's mailserver's
> password,
> so it shouldn't be world-readable.

You don't really need to use a separate authinfo file.  This is a hold
over from prior versions.  Just put the authinfo line in your access
file and do the makemap command.

> Here's my access file:
>
> # by default we allow relaying from localhost...
> localhost.localdomain		RELAY
> localhost			RELAY
> 127.0.0.1			RELAY
> workstation1.homenet.local	RELAY
> workstation2.homenet.local	RELAY

You just need to put in your domain name unless you want to restrict
relaying to just those two boxes.  If you're using authentication then
you don't need the domain name.

snip...

There is an excellent sendmail setup howto at

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/howto/html-multiple/Sendmail-SMTP-AUTH-HOWTO-index.html

--
Gerry Doris <gdoris at rogers.com>