Random System Crashes

Mike Chepesky krayden1229 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:01:09 UTC 2004

>Mike Chepesky wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm new to Linux, and I've just downloaded and installed the Fedora
> > Core. Installation and configuration went smoothly, and I can work in
> > the GNOME environment normally. However, it seems that every 1/2 hour
> > or so, even in the middle of working on something, I get a crash. The
> > computer is still on (i.e. I can still eject the CD-ROM drive, the
> > power light is on), but my monitor turns off (as if it's gone into
> > power-saving mode) and no keystrokes or mouse clicks will revive it
> > (not even Ctrl-Alt-Del).
> >
> > I have the latest Linux kernel (as provided by the automatic updater),
> > and everything else works just fine. Any suggestions??
>
>Can you post the output of    uname -r    ?
>
>I had a problem with the 2.4.22-1.2140.nptl kernel with my Athlon XP and
>nforce2 chipset. I looked in /var/log/messages and did not see any
>errors, the monitor did not show a sync signal (like it's in suspend),
>and the system was locked up hard (no response from Ctrl-Alt-F1,
>Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, Ctrl-Alt-Delete), and I could not ping the machine.
>This happened several times within an hour and a half. Seems like it
>happened when I was browsing or downloading from the network. I went
>back to the -2135 kernel, and my machine has been more stable, but
>recently has locked up while running a screensaver. I just upgraded to
>the 2149 kernel, and disabled a lot of the screensavers, so I will wait
>and see what happens. It looks like I was seeing the same problem you
>were seeing when I was on the 2140 athlon kernel.
>
>Are you using alsa drivers, or the OSS drivers that come with FC1?

I'm using the 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl kernel (output from uname -r). Your problem
is in fact identical to mine. I've been using it for the past couple of
hours, and nothing strange has happened, so we will see. Perhaps disabling
screensavers is a good idea...

I'm using the drivers that came with FC1, btw.

Mike