using a mirror for yum??

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 31 22:26:17 UTC 2004

WipeOut said:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to update my yum.conf to talk to a local mirror.. The
> mirrors page says this..
>
> http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/
>
> but the existing yum.conf says this..
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever
>
> ..but I can't browse the default link to try and figure out exactly what
> path I should use..

$releasever is a variable for the release version (in this case "1").  You
can use the same URL that you use in the sources file for up2date.  A
better way is to use the $releasever (instead of "1") and $basearch
(instead of "i386" or "ppc") variables so that you don't have to worry to
much about upgrades.

> Any pointers..
>
> Maybe there should be a page with the yum.conf entries for each of the
> FC mirrors..

Most, if not all, mirrors have the same structure.  I don't think it makes
sense having a page with 4+ URLs for each mirror, for each release, all
with the same path at the end.

--
William Hooper