MODPOST compilatiob between 2.4 and 2.6

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 1 01:00:12 UTC 2004

Fred Fedora wrote:
> Folks,
> I don't know if it is the right list or not (ps direct me to the right
> list to post the question).
>
> I compiled some modles on 2.4. I rewrote the Makefiles to fit 2.6 Kbuild
> requirements.
>
> I had to do a composite Object.
> obj-m := switchMod.o
>
> switchMod :=  switch1.o switch2.o
> There are some statics declared in switch1.c that are being referenced
> in switch2.c (via extern decleartion).
>
> When switchMod.Ko is built, it complains about undefined symbols (teh
> statics in switch1.o). I made the stats as globals and it fixed the
> problem (segmentation fault though).
>
> So question is why did things work on 2.4 got broken in 2.6 kernel? What
> additional info does module writers need to take care for 2.6 kernel.
> I am trying fedora Core 2.

Fred, as I mentioned in my private email to you, there are thousands of
differences between the 2.4 kernels and the 2.6 kernels.  The 2.6 kernel
is virtually a _complete_ rewrite.  Most of the internal structures
have changed.  The module interface is radically different.  Tweaking a
Makefile and exporting globals isn't good enough--the module must be
WRITTEN to conform to 2.6 specifications.

How to fix it is WAY beyond the scope of any quick mailing list.  You
should contact the module's author and ask if he/she intends to release
a 2.6-compatible version. Offer to beta test it if he/she is.
-        God is real...........unless declared integer or long       -