Accesing windows partitions

Botond Kardos Botond.Kardos at essnet.se
Tue Jul 6 09:17:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 08:35, Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic -
Java System Software - Sun Microsystems wrote:

> Jonathan Ng wrote:
>
> >Can I access a Windows NTFS partition? If I can't, how
> >do I read files from my NTFS partition? Do I need to
> >transfer all of them (2-3GB) to another FAT32 partition?

> >Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers!
> >http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
> >

> NTFS support is not built into the FC2 stock kernel. You can use the
> RPMs from the URL below:
>
> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora2.html
>
> to install a loadable module that will give you NTFS read access. You
> will then need to put an entry in your /etc/fstab file to make sure it
> gets mounted on startup. Here's an example from my fstab file for
> mounting my Windows XP root partition (/dev/hdc1):
>
> /dev/hdc1               /mnt/windows/C          ntfs
> ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=iso8859-1 0 0
>
> If you want write support for NTFS, take a look at
>
> http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
>
> although I would shy away from writing to NTFS partitions - it's been
> known to be a bit flaky.

    Hi,
    I found these drawbacks of captive during its occasional use:
    - can't access large files (>1GB)
    - very slow (about floppy speed)
    - eats up the memory, for some reason it doesn't free up space
occupied by the cache
    - it's a pain to get the necessary M$ driver files
    - I usually have to manually unmount captive-ntfs file systems in
order for the last writes to take affect
    (Some other observations can be found here:
http://www.jankratochvil.net/pipermail/captive-list/ )

    But captive is good for:
    - editing/creating/deleting/renaming small files
    - modifying/deleting files which are otherwise unaccessible from
Windows (which were created by other versions/installations of Windows)

    linux-ntfs is a complementer for captive:
    - fast
    - can access files of any size (but only for reading)

    Cheers,
    Botond