FC2 Can't save system-config-display changes

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Wed Jul 7 13:33:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 14:27 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Douglas Furlong wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 14:59 -0700, John Cox wrote:
> >> When I change from the default VESA driver to ATI Radeon Mobility U1,
> >> I can't seem to save this change. Next time I log on the VESA driver is
> >> there again. How do I save this configuration change?
> >> Thanks.
> > Have you run yum update, to make sure your system is up to date? There
> > were problems with some code and I am not 100% sure if it was fixed
> > before FC2 final.
>
> I didn't really understand the original question.
> Did the OP mean that he/she copied the xorg.conf
> supplied by system-config-display to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> but that something then over-wrote this file?

My understanding was that he was using the GUI to try and configure his
xorg.conf file, and when he clicked on the save/okay/whatever button, it
would not actually save the changes, and re-entering the setup utility
he would find the default driver once again set.

I think this problem is normally the case when the card is not
recognised by the utility (or one of the underling systems). I know I
have exactly the same problem with my laptop at home.

> Are there any init programs that over-write this file?
>
> Incidentally, not really relevant but I just upgraded my Xorg
> (a new version came out a couple of days ago)
> and the xorg.conf that it created did not work
> with my ATI Rage Mobility laptop.
> Fortunately the one I was using before did work.
> So I'd make a copy of any xorg.conf that works before doing anything else.

Hmm, I wonder if your bad luck will transpire to good luck for me, as my
ATI Mobility isn't being recognised :)

I'm sure it fits in with karma, or some thing along those lines.
--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator