What is a newbie? (Was Re: Assistance for newbies?)

David Maier dave at bardacious.com
Thu Jul 8 19:00:26 UTC 2004

> So hey, don't feel bad. A lot of what you don't know, I don't know
> either. And neither of us needs to know it. <grin> Now in reference to
> needing the RPM man page, allow me to suggest the most common usages
> right here:
>
>  -qa     List all packages on the system
>
>  -qi bind     List information about the bind package
>
>  -qf /etc/named.conf    Tell you which package owns this file
>
>  -Uvh bind-9.23-1.noarch.rpm     Upgrade the bind package (if
> installed) to this version if it's newer. Install this version if bind
> was not previously installed. Or do nothing if the installed bind is
> equal to or newer than this one. This is much more comfortable than
> "-ivh" (install) since it's more intelligent.
>
>  -Fvh bind-9.23-1.noarch.rpm     Same as -U but ***only*** upgrade the
> package if it's already installed.
>
>  -e bind     Remove a package.
>
>  -ql bind     List all files in a package.
>
>  -qd bind     List all documentation files in a package
>
> That should cover 95% to 99% of the use you'll ever give RPM.

This is GREAT!  It is also being dragged to my resource collection.  You
would be developing a really useful resource if you expanded this to 95%
of the times you use other command line utilities, such as "find" (with
and without "grep") Maybe such a thing exists, but I haven't found it.
Examples of real life application of these switches is very helpful.