fedora on dell precision 450 with nvidia quadro fx 1000 = no graphics [SOLVED]

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Fri Jul 9 05:05:33 UTC 2004

John McBride wrote:
> I have a dell precision workstation 450 with the quadro fx 1000 board.
> When I try to install Fedora Core 1 it will not do a graphical install.

Responding to my own post.

Okay, it looks like the combination of a NVIDIA Quadro 1000 and a Sony
SDM-S204 is a really nasty combo.

 From what I've been able to learn NVIDIA and Sony use a different
"standard" for their DVI connections (!!!)

To get the system up in X, first we used a "dongle" (provided with the
quadro) that mates the DVI connector on the board to a HD15 cable. This
worked okay with the Sony monitor, but the Sony SDM-S204 is not in the
FC1 display database, so the frequencies were whack. I used the Sony
Multisync 20(something) to get video up.

Anyway, even then, the Nvidia Quadro 1000 behaved strangely when
switching from Dual to Single head and back. Sometimes it would consider
the lower connector the "primary" (at boot up) sometimes the upper
connector (when switched via the Display Settings menu) as the primary.
Even worse, it would NEVER do dual head properly. One display was always
garbled junk.

Our fix/workaround (ultimately) was swapping in a GeForce4 Nvidia card
with analog output. We only need single head anyway.

I know a lot of people spooge whenever anyone says "Nvidia", but for me
I just pucker.

---
John