Default Apache Installation Directory

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sun Jul 11 20:29:42 UTC 2004

--On Sunday, July 11, 2004 6:42 PM +0200 Alexander Dalloz
<alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> /sbin/ and /usr/sbin/ are in the $PATH environment set if the user
> becomes root by invoking a root login shell using "su -". As only root
> is allowed to start, stop or restart services it is absolutely
> sufficient that both directories are only set within the $PATH for root
> user and not normal system users.

Except that there are a number of programs in that directory which can be
used to return useful information to unprivileged users, such as ifconfig
and route. If you like to track system state without assuming the risk of
being superuser, add those directories to your path. I do this for all
users by commenting out the "if" and "fi" in /etc/profile bracketing the
calls to pathmunge. Issue those calls unconditionally.