dhcp troubles

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Mon Jul 12 06:09:07 UTC 2004

Greetings,
I have setup a dhcp server for my NFS distribution server, (same
machine)
I would like the dhcp server to automatically assign the leases with a
host name, the mac addresses will not be the same ever so I do not want
to link it to the mac addresses.
I have read the documentation from TLDP but they only give very
complicated setups as examples and I am new to this so I don't even know
what the docs are trying to accomplish in some of these examples.

could some please assist me here.
This is what I am trying to accomplish.

On an internal network without any internet connection for now,
A dhcp server to assign addresses from 192.168.10.1 - 120
a hostname for each address.
like this
192.168.10.1 - station1
192.168.10.2 - station2
192.168.10.3 - station3
192.168.10.4 - station4
 and so on

This should stop the installation looking for a NIS server right?
then then the kickstart file should be automatically sent to the clients
I have added the following line to the dhcp.conf file

filename "/home/distro/Fedora1/"

where my kickstart file resides.

The outcome is a linux distribution server.
If anyone can help here it would be greatly appreciated.

Chadley Wilson
Soon 2 B RHCE
Linux Rocks
Welcome to my world.