Can up2date be completely turned off without removing it?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jul 12 21:00:21 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:57:19 -0700,
  Nifty Hat Mitch <mitch48 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Since you did not reboot you also need to:
>
>   service rhnsd stop

This wasn't the problem. The service had been turned off many reboots
ago.

> Do not forget yum.  There is a cron job for yum that you may
> wish to turn off if it is not.  See:
>
>   $ chkconfig --list | grep yum
>   yum             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off

This might be an issue. Even though things seemed to stop after update
was removed. I had thought that yum was just a fancy version of rpm,
I didn't expect it to do polling. I think it is probably disabled, but
I won't get to check until I get home.