Help with modem for fedora core 2

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 14 01:22:08 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 12:44 am, E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
> Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> >E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
> >>I have installed fedora core 2
> >>and now I want to connect to my ISP using Mozilla.
> >>How do I locate the modem in the /dev/ directory?
> >>How do I connect to my ISP [using a chatscript]?
> >
> >Too many variables here. What kind of modem (internal/external,
> >serial/USB/PCI/ISA, brand and model)? What kind of connection (dialup,
> > cable, DSL)?
>
> internal
> Hayes Accura PCI v.92 softmodem
> dialup

"Softmodem" is not a good thing to hear, as you will see at:
http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_internal.html

Note that both of the Hayes Accura v92 pci models are for Windows only; since
Zoom usually identifies real modems as being compatible with MS-DOS (well,
they used to), Mac and/or Linux, the windows-only statement indicates that
you've got a bit of a challenge ahead. In many cases, members of the Linux
community have developed suitable drivers for many of the common winmodems.
Sadly, though, there remain some modems for which there is no known cure.

The key to getting your modem up and running is getting the proper driver for
the modem chipset. Then check out http://www.linmodems.org/, and follow the
links.

-- cmg