Need Install Help - ASUS A7V8X-X, ASUS Radeon 7000

Mick Mearns off_by_1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 04:33:01 UTC 2004

--- Clint Harshaw <clint at penguinsolutions.org> wrote:
> Hi all, I'm in need of some help getting FC1 or 2 on a new box that I
>
> built. Here are the basic specs:
> ASUS A7V8X-X mobo
> ASUS Radeon 7000 video card
> Western Digital 7200 rpm 80GB hd with 8MB buffer
>
> When I boot from either FC1 or FC2 disk 1, the results are identical.
> It
> correctly probes for the video card (ATI Radeon 7000), the monitor
> ViewSonic VG800, the mouse type (Generic 3-button mouse, PS/2).
>
> X starts
> then I go through the new partitioning, where I let it do it
> automatically. I set the time zone, my root pw, and select Desktop. I
>
> configure my static IP information. When it starts to actually do the
>
> installation, it stops X, and tells me that the install exited
> abnormally.
> sending termination signals ... done
> sending kill signals ... done
> disabling swap ...
> unmounting file systems ...
> etc.
> you may safely reboot
>
> and then it sits there.

I had this same problem I had two sticks of memory in the MB.
Both were new and worked fine - but not together.

Try memtest86 to see if you also are having memory problems.

http://www.memtest86.com/

You could also type "linux text" at the first prompt after booting the
cd.

Mick M.

=====
Dogs have Masters - Cats have Staff!