Help: Dual boot recovery from RHFC2 installation bug failure

Mikael Konttinen micken at home.se
Thu Jul 15 10:09:26 UTC 2004

Hey Netmask,

Thanks! Yes, I see the problem of giving advice in such matters as this... But, I'm well aware that I'm really on my own responsability of what I decide to do. Now I'm asking for advice out of knowledge or experience that others might have, for example about understanding of how disk geometry works, as that is ancient greek for me.

I wish there was defined somewhere what the Fedora 2 disk geometry rewrite really does and means and what procedures should be avoided to minimize risk of data loss afterwards.

For example if re-partitioning messes up the entire partition table or if formatting or even writing data to the disk is at at risk to bleed across the old file allocations or partition tables and thereby every disk write is possibly destroying data...

I wonder if I should try to find an 100GB+ disk to lend and backup all data, repartition and reformat NTFS data partitions and then copy everything back again or if the data is really not at risk. I don't understand if it's just WinXP that has a problem booting because of the recent change but hopefully will work just fine after a fresh install or if the entire disk is possibly in disorder. And especially since the published fixes didn't work out.

Well, at least GRUB shouldn't be a problem as it's not installed on the MBR but on the boot partition...

Yours and thanks again for your reply!

Mkn.