Suggestion for Newbies [Was: Curt Tone]

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 16 16:55:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:40:04 -0400, Mathew Brown wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
>
>> [quoted text muted]
> I've allready read it, My next question will be someone mentioned I can
> use thunderbird  and it will sort this news letter out so i won't make
> the mistake of posting in the wrong thread.

You mentioned something about having too many fedora email and not being
able to see the threads in one of your (many) previous messages. I didn't
reply then, so I'll do it now.

I hate mailing lists, and there are others that hate them too. So some
smart people came up with this thing called gmane (gmane.org). It takes
the mailing lists and turns them into newsgroup messages (with threads
and all). So if you can read newsgroups, you can view/post all these
messages as you would with any other newsgroup. And to stop getting the
messages in your mailbox, you go to the fedora subscription page, go to
preferences/settings (whatever) and tell it that you don't want to receive
messages anymore.

> So that's that.
> I may seem like an idiot, i'm actually taking the a+ exam next month :}
> Windows yes is much easier to use, and i understand quite well why
> things do what and how they operate.
> but the command lines and everything else in linux compared to windows
> is completly different, thus making me as smart as a fence post when it
> comes to using it, i don't deny that.

You seem to confuse intelligence with knowledge. Intelligence - one is
born with (or not), knowledge - one acquires. An intelligent person may
not have the knowledge for this or that, but certainly has the ability to
acquire it, if need be. I don't think anybody made negative comments about
either one. There were some suggestions on how to address the problems you
have with linux. I don't see why you should feel "smart as a fence post"
(in your words) when you're learning something new.