Suggestion for Newbies [Was: Curt Tone]

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Jul 17 17:39:55 UTC 2004

--On Saturday, July 17, 2004 12:45 PM -0400 "Lisa (TheAverageJane)"
<melgil88 at optonline.net> wrote:

>> We are wasting allot space to this subject.
>
> I agree with this too.

Something like this in ~/.procmailrc should help:

:0:
* ^Subject: Re: Suggestion for Newbies \[Was: Curt Tone\]
/dev/null

(Not sure about the backslash escapes.)

The first line (":0:") designates the beginning of a "recipe". The lines
starting with asterisks are patterns to match in the header. The last line
is the mailbox to deliver to. (In this case, the message is discarded to
the bit bucket.)

For a more useful example, here's my recipes for the Fedora lists:

:0 :
* ^List-Id:.*fedora-announce
mail/Lists/Fedora/announce

:0 :
* ^List-Id:.*fedora-devel
mail/Lists/Fedora/dev

:0 :
* ^List-Id:.*fedora-list
mail/Lists/Fedora/users

These deliver to Dovecot IMAP folders in ~/mail/Lists/Fedora.