resize NTFS partition questions.

Jeffrey W. Stein jwstein at jwsteinw0.mt.att.com
Wed Jul 21 19:52:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 16:56, Mike Wills wrote:
> The install for Mandrake actaully allows you to resize NTFS
> partitions. I have used it and it seems to work. Of course there is
> the usual caution of potenitally destroying the Windows partition if
> there is data where you deleted the partition....
>
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 18:57:19 -0500, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a free tool to resize an NTFS partition on a hard
> > drive in preparation for installing fedora to dual boot?
> >
> > I have researched fips, parted, partition magic, and others and so far
> > the only one I can find that will allow resizing of the NTFS partition
> > is PM (not free).
> >
> > I am installing Fedora for a customer on her laptop and have previously
> > not needed to handle NTFS partitions, but now I have this one to deal
> > with.
> >
> > TIA
> > Jeff
> >

> > --
> >

> --
> Mike Wills
> iSeries Programmer/Lawson Administrator
> koldark at gmail.com
> http://www.koldark.net
> Want Gmail? Email koldark+gmail at gmail.com to get on my waiting list.

You might want to look at QtParted:
<http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/index.en.html>. I successfully shrank
an NTFS partition from an existing Windows XP Home installation so that
I could dual boot Fedora Core 1 for running MythTV.

I would just make sure that you back up anything vital, just in case.

Good luck,

Jeff