SOLVED! Re: USB drive re-mounting itself as READ ONLY by itself...

Gregory Gulik greg at gulik.org
Thu Jul 22 05:32:29 UTC 2004

I hate when this happens.  I got bit by the old Kernel keeping the
partition information cached when swapping USB devices.  I just
remembered I swapped drives shortly after rebooting and I forgot to do
the "eject /dev/sda" command after removing the first drive and before
inserting the new drive.

The problem was that I went from a 250G drive to a 160G drive but the
kernel still had the partition information for the 250G drive when you
did an "fdisk -l /dev/sda" which was causing the instability!!!!

I unmounted, ejected the file system, fsck'd the ext3 partition just to
be sure and re-mounted it and I suspect it will work just fine from now on.

--
Greg Gulik                                 http://www.gulik.org/greg/
greg @ gulik.org