Sound (and wireless) on new Presario R3000

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Fri Jul 23 04:48:46 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:

>Reshat Sabiq wrote:
>

>>The IDE, audio, modem , VGA compatible controller, FireWire, CardBus
>>bridge, and  USB Controller  use IRQ 10. Wireless, and again USB
>>controller use IRQ 5, according to lspci -v.
>>

>Aaron Gaudio replied:
>

>>Have you tried enabling ACPI? When everything uses the same IRQs, that
>>is often a sign that you need ACPI to manage the interrupts... although
>>I think ACPI is enabled by default in FC2.
>>

>There again, it could possibly be an APIC problem. (That's not a typo:
>there are two, vaguely related, Intel standards; one named ACPI and the
>other APIC).
>
>Try doing a
>grep -i apic /var/log/dmesg
>and if it comes up with
>ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
>somewhere, see what putting "noapic" on the kernel command line does.
>
>Remember to keep an "emergency" unmodified entry in grub.conf!
>
>HTH,
>
>James.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Yes, ACPI is enabled (from what i can see in
the logs). And i tried passing noapic to both 2.6.5 and 2.6.6 kernels,
with both atiixp, and atiixp-modem drivers. The results are pretty much
the same. I'm now seeing that IRQ 5 is disabled with both drivers.
Although i have seen some other users of R3000 posting that noapic
helped them, there are so many variations of R3000, that mine appears to
be different from those.
Mine is R3000T (shared memory). The sound card is detected as IXP150
AC'97 Audio Controller (snd-atiixp). But to me it looks like it really
needs atiixp-modem driver, which is still experimental and doesn't cut it.
It appears i have 2 options:
1. Wait for atiixp-modem to become stable (or help make it so)
2. Plug a different sound card.

I'll see what i can do.

Thanks again,
<rsa/>