Changed videocard, X not working

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Jul 27 18:28:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Edwin Dicker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I need some help of you experts. I have changed my FC2 configuration and
> changed my videocard from a PCI S3virge 2MB to a AGP Matrox G200 8MB. I just
> shutdown the box, removed the PCIcard, insert the AGP card and booted ( in
> the hope that kudzu would recognize the changes.
> Apparently Kudzu doesnt see the change and X won't start.
> Is there another way to reconfigure the system so that I can run X again
> with my new AGP card ?

Whenever I make changes to the video settings, the fisrt thing i do is
change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab to 3.  This brings the system
up in text mode.  X can then be started manually with "startx".  This
means that if the graphics setup gets bjorked, you can recover without too
much hairpulling.

Then all you need to do is change the video card setting in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Look in the device section for Driver and change what
the S3 card was using (s3virge?) and change it to "mga".

Not certain why anaconda is not handling that. It should, but I have seen
other cases where anaconda is failing to detect things it should not.