Installing RPM s

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Jul 28 04:48:35 UTC 2004

On 01:18 27 Jul 2004, James Wilkinson <james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
| Cameron Simpson recommended:
| > Pop up a terminal, su to root and then cd to the directory with the rpm
| > in it. Then:
| > rpm -ivh foo.rpm
|
| Kenneth Porter objected:
| > No!!!!
| > The -i (install) switch is only appropriate for kernels. For all other
| > packages, use -U (update). It will also install if the package isn't
| > present, but it will remove any old versions if they are.
|
| I don't think it's as black-and-white as Kenneth makes out.
|
| -U is basically a "make it work" option. -i and -F are "I know what I'm
| doing" options that are more likely to come up with errors if the state
| of your system isn't exactly what you expect. In certain circumstances,
| this is a good thing.

Yes, and it's a main reason I do things that way myself.
I usually think I know what I've got installed and want to be told
if I'm wrong.

BTW, while we're on the RPM topic, can I "pin" an RPM, so that rpm -U
or -F won't touch it? I occasionally want to install a special RPM of
a standard package (eg built from a hacked SRPM with special patches)
and _don't_ want a stray -F or -U to upgrade it because the upgrade will
lack the special patches.

Currently my only choices seem to be either:

	- build from source and keep out of the way of RPM
	  (eg install in /opt, which I do a lot)

	- use a special SRPM and just be Very Very careful from then on

Is there a way to "pin" an RPM?

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

So, Lionel, Bob, by my model, anyone who still insists on 'considering both
alternatives' probably also makes tea by waiting for Maxwell's Demon to boil
the water.      - watson at sce.carleton.ca (Steve Watson)