Fedora Core 2 freezes on Dell Latitiude LS400

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 28 12:43:02 UTC 2004

About a week ago, Jose Moreno wrote:
> I loaded Fedora Core2 from the ftp.redhat.com site on my dell
> latitude.
> it loads up until the Login screen, then once i enter my username and
> password, it freezes midway through. I tried KDE and GNOME and they
> both freeze
>
> any ideas why? i'm eager to get started with Linux.
>
> Display is a NeoMagice MagicGraph256AV
> Pentium 3
>
> it works fine on Windows XP. i hate xp though :-0

Sorry you never got an answer, Jose. Did you ever fix this?

It sounds from other posts as though you've got to a text prompt
(presumably at the console). Can you, as root, run telinit 3, then log
in (perhaps at another virtual console: say Ctrl+Alt+F2) as yourself,
then try running startx?

Does the whole machine freeze, or can you still get back to a virtual
console while X is logged?

What happens if you redirect the output of startx to a file:
startx > startx.log 2>&1

What's in that startx.log file afterwards (if the machine locks solid,
after you reboot)?

Have you tried vesafb mode?

HTH,

James.
--
E-mail address: james@ | "I've never understood the appeal of "Big Bother" - I
westexe.demon.co.uk    | guess having lived for 3 years in a house shared with