system clock is too slow

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Jul 28 19:25:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> said:
> > The problems might occur when the system crashes after a DST change and
> > the clock hasn't been saved to the hardware clock.
>
> That's why you should always set the hardware to UTC.  Local time (and
> DST) is then just an OS setting.
>
> This doesn't really work well if you dual boot Windows though, because
> it doesn't understand that (you just have to set your time zone to UTC
> and do the offset yourself when you need local time).

Or wear a watch 8^).

One subtlety I just discovered is that in Windows, *every user* gets to
decide if they are going to adjust for DST or not.  I had administrator
set right, and I couldn't figure out for ages why I still kept gaining an
hour across Windows boots.  I also just discovered that WinXP can run an
NTP service.  Just double-click on the clock and choose the "Internet
Time" tab.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences