text login

Christian Loza christianl at unete.com.bo
Thu Jul 29 23:15:47 UTC 2004

Whil,

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 18:01 -0500, Whil Hentzen wrote:

> On Thursday 29 July 2004 11:56, Sameer Kamat wrote:
> > Hi
> >     I have the default in inittab to run at  5(GUI mode). It works fine,
> > but if I hit CTRL+ALT+F1 I do
> > not see anything but a black screen. If I set the inittab default to
> > runlevel 3,
> > then I do get to a text login screen, however when I run startx to get to
> > the GUI I lose the text console.
> >
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should be doing to fix this ?
>
> This might provide some context, although it won't give you the answer to your
> 'black screen' question.
>
> http://www.hentzenwerke.com/wp/fromgui_totext.htm
>
> --
> Whil
>
> Moving to Linux: Freedom, Choice, Security, Opportunity
> http://www.hentzenwerke.com

I had the same problem in the past, and was because the video card I had
(wasn't fully supported). I believe you should have a similar problem.
Try changing it (if it is possible), or the monitor, and see what
happens. I really don't know much of drivers and video drivers, but that
time changing some X parameters did the trick.

Chris

--
Christian Loza <christianl at unete.com.bo>
UNETE Telecomunicaciones Ltda.