anticipatory or cfq io scheduler?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Thu Jul 1 01:01:38 UTC 2004

Stephen So wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> FC2 defaults to the cfq io scheduler but when I compiled my own kernel
> (2.6.6), it defaults to the anticipatory scheduler.  I know how to
> change this back to cfq in the kernel command line but what I'd like to
> know is whether there is any difference between the two schedulers.  Is
> one better than the other?  Thanks.

That was something I was wondering about also, and meant to do a search.

Hmm, a google search doesn't immediately show *why* it's the default in
Fedora, and I haven't been following LKML for the last three months so I
don't know how it's been fairing against the deadline and AS schedulers
lately.

It was merged into 2.6.6, but it looks like fc2 has been using it longer
than that.

Mike