FC2 install via FTP

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 1 13:50:43 UTC 2004

Sergio fernandez wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I am very new to all this. I have a dual boot machine with RH9 and
> WinXP. I am trying to install Fedora core 2. I have downloaded the 4
> ISO but I can not get them to work. I don't have a DVD drive but I
> have a CD drive but when I burn them it fails to boot from the images.
> So I have been looking around and found that you should be able to
> boot the PC from USB pen drive. This boots into a SUSE boot screen and
> then it fails so I am now try to get fedora core 2 installed via FTP.
> I have the ISO sitting on an internal FTP server and need help to get
> the install kicked off.
>
> Sergio Fernandez

Your question had been asked before like this:

Am Sa, den 22.05.2004 schrieb Ben Levin um 19:12:

>> Can anyone point me to some instructions on how to do
>> an FTP install of FC2?  I'd like to install to a
>> laptop on the same LAN as the FTP server. Thanks.
>> -Ben

Loop mount the ISO image files inside the FTP server tree, to be
accessible when you contact the FTP server.

mount -t iso9660 -o loop FC2-i386-disc1.iso /path/to/ftp/pub_dir

Then start the network installation pointing to your FTP server. See

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-begininstall-ftp.html

Change the mounted ISO image file when the install process needs to
access a different CD image.

Alexander

-- Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG key 1024D/ED695653 1999-07-13
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 19:24:02 up 1:20, 10 users, 0.53, 0.49, 0.45 [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον
- gnothi seauton ] my life is a planetarium - and you are the stars