Fedora - The Next Generation

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Jul 1 16:24:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 09:20 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> The problems with an RHEL clone are more to the tune of the fact that
> you are uncertain of how many eyes are auditing it, that bug reports

At least one more than Red Hat :)

> don't get back to the providers (Red Hat) and of course, there is no
> accountability (i.e. support).

The only thing I ever wanted was not having the trouble to maintain
software updates, and just bother with system administration, updating
software, etc...

So, for fetching N rpms RHEL subscription plans way too expensive.
An yearly subscription to give me access to update download would be
nice, but no... Red Hat preffered to give way too much more than what I
need on a very expensive plan, and keeps disregarding a small market
that would come by addition.

Pay 1800 EUR/year for getting updates, we would accept.
Pay N*1800 EUR/year for much more than the updates (that we don't need)
for N machines we don't accept.

Of course... the instructions on WBEL's site have been very useful...

Rui