rpm got stuck

Thu Jul 1 20:01:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 12:49 -0700, Nina Pham wrote:
> I was intalling some rpms, then it got stuck. I follow the instruction
> on the internet to delete the db files for rpm, and rebuild. So I
> deleted rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*, then
> #rpm -vv rebuilddb
> waring: waiting for transaction lock
>
> and stuck there, so I do Ctrl_Z to exit. Then Do rpm -e
> kerio-mailserver, get the same warning, and error can not create
> transaction lock.
>
> Do you have any idea what happened? and what I need to do to fix it?

Ctrl-Z suspends but does not kill the process.  "jobs" will show
suspended and background processes.  "kill %1" will kill #1, etc.
(kill -9 ... only if that fails).  Don't be too quick to think rpm is
"stuck" - may seem to be doing nothing for extended periods but is
actually just busy.  Try "top" in another console before acting.

Do "ps auxww | grep rpm" to see what other rpm processes may be hanging
around.

Phil