cdrom not unmounting

Anand Buddhdev anand at celtelplus.com
Thu Jul 1 21:08:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 05:05:29PM -0400, Paul Pianta wrote:

> hey people
>
> I know this is a common one but I have forgotten it. What is the command
> for forcing an umount and ejecting a cdrom that keeps giving the message
> 'device busy' - even when you know the device is not in use (Fedora Core 1)?

You must have opened a file on the CDROM using Nautilus, and now
Gnome's "open recent" feature is holding the file open via fam, the
file alternation monitor. Fam runs out of xinetd, so restart xinetd
(service xinetd restart) and you'll be able to unmount the cdrom.

--
Anand Buddhdev
Celtel International