FC2, Evolution, gpilotd dies w/several conduits

James A. Giseburt giseburt at molineschools.org
Fri Jul 2 04:11:40 UTC 2004

Good Day!

I am also having the same problems.  gpilotd did not die unexpectedly
under FC1.  However, under FC2, it is extremely unreliable.  For me, it
seems to always die while syncing the calendar.  I have ended up with
duplicated events and other inconsistencies.  Frustrating!

I too have the following installed under FC2:

gnome-pilot-2.0.10-6.1
gnome-pilot-conduits-2.0.10-2.1
pilot-link-0.11.8-3.1
evolution-1.4.6-2

And yes, the memo conduit doesn't do anything.  (It never has.  I use
memos to copy stuff from the Palm to my desktop and install-memo to copy
things from my desktop to my Palm.  How convenient!)

It would sure be nice if they made little memo pads (Post-It notes) in
Evolution for the Palm memos.  (I requested that of the Evolution folks
seems like three or four years ago.  I also requested a Journal.  I must
be the only person that used that feature in Micro$oft Outlook!  And I
synced the journal to Chapura's PocketJournal on my Palm also.)

I have been trying to convince people that Linux is usable for a desktop
for someone other than a techie.  However, problems like the gpilot
problem don't help my argument.  Not having the notes in Evolution
doesn't help my argument either.

I have been syncing my data with kpilot and Kontact just to have a
backup some place.  Kontact has the notes and a journal, but it seems to
be a little buggy yet and it is SLOW.  It is not bad for a first time
out, but the summary page needs to have more user customization
options.  Now if the kpilot folks could sync the Kontact journal with
Chapura's PocketJournal on the Palm, I would have to start considering
dumping Evolution for Kontact.

Jim

James A. Giseburt
Information Systems Manager        E-mail:  giseburt at molineschools.org
Moline School District No. 40      Voice :  309.743.8990
2515 - 41st Street                 Fax   :  309.743.8996
Moline, IL   61265                 Web   :  http://www.molineschools.org