Tcpdump: "admin prohibited filter"

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Fri Jul 2 10:33:10 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 10:25:42AM +0200, Andrea Giuliano wrote:
> Dear Andrei,
>
> below is the whole output from tcpdump -i ppp0. The output refers to a
> session with Epiphany, during which I tried to connect fedora.redhat.com
> and did something else, I guess some ping and some traceroute to some
> host.
>
> Note that 82.53.151.158 is the address that my ISP assigned to my host
> after ppp0 came up. So it actually seems that my own host refuses to
> send ICMP packets outside. At least, I interpret the output this way,
> because the suspicious lines all have the form
>
> 192.168.100.1 > 82.53.151.158: icmp 36: host 217.144.248.190

The onder end of your ppp connection, your ISP's router, is telling you
that you can't reach the host 217.144.248.190. Either you haven't logged
in or it doesn't like you giving services (those connections are mostly
SMB related).

All connection initiations I see are from other host to yours. I can't see
in the tcpdump log a TCP connection from your machine to some other.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha