file-roller and bzip files

Mariano Draghi mdraghi at prosud.com
Fri Jul 2 15:06:56 UTC 2004

D. D. Brierton escribió:
> On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 15:04, Mariano Draghi wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I noticed that if I run
>>   $] tar -zxvf foo.tar.bz foo
>>
>>then I can't open foo.tar.bz w/file-roller, because it says it isn't a
>>regular 'bzip2' file or something.
>>I have many old .tar.bz or .tbz files. How can I make file-roller not to
>>assume that EVERITHING I gave him is using bzip2, but bzip?
>

> I'm confused by what you've written above. In the example of the tar
> command above you have the "z" option, which means use gzip, and the "x"
> option which means extract.

Sorry! Mi fault. I meant:

      $] tar -zcvf foo.tar.bz foo

> And yet the next part of your message
> suggests that you used tar to *create* a *bzip2* archive. Can you
> explain more clearly what you are trying to do?

No, I assume that with the (corrected) above command I create a *bzip*
(no bzip2) archive.
But then file-roller try to decompress it using bzip2, instead of bzip.

> Reading between the lines, tar will allow you to call an archive
> anything you please

Yes, I know that.

> If you want to create a bzip2 tar
> archive then you need to use the "j" option to tar, not the "z" option,
> like so: tar -jcvf foo.tar.bz2 foo".

Yes, I know. And that works.
To put it more clear:
     tar -jcvf foo.tar.bz2 foo --> can be opened with file-roller
     tar -zcvf foo.tar.bz  foo --> CANNOT be opened with file-roller, it
fails saying that the archive isn't a valid bzip2 archive, which is
true, I mean, it is a bzip archive, not bzip2. The problem is that
file-roller is doing a WRONG assumption.

> It maybe the case that in the past file-roller automagically determined
> the archive type, but now simply goes by file extension.

Ok, but if that is the case, isn't '.tar.bz' the standard extension for
bzip archives? How am I supposed to name a bzip archive for file-roller
to make the right guessing?

I feel my post sound VERY silly, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing the same
thing I've been doing for years... and now it doesn't work. I'm puzzled.

Hope it's more clear now... I made a mess with my previous post.
Sorry!

--
Mariano