help: DHCP & cable-modem

Jon Shorie jshorie at medinaco.org
Fri Jul 2 15:11:53 UTC 2004

On Friday 02 July 2004 10:45, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 22:09, javac at mail.com wrote:
> > i have a cable modem, and periodically lose my internet connection.
> >  Presumabely, my provider is changing my IP and FC1 isn't automatically
> > detecting the new IP. ?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > javac at mail dot com
> In may area there is a cable company whose service fails regularly.
> See also if your IP address is changed. If not then most probably it is
> outside of your box.
I have a simple solution, and this is what I did at home.  I purchased a
d-link hardware router with firewall.  It only costs between $20 and $40

Here are two links to tiger direct for this part:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=618593&Sku=D700-2059&CatId=198

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=328846&Sku=D700-2050%20P&CatId=198

You then connect up your pc to the router and then the router to the cable
modem.  Make sure that the modem is powered off when you do this.

When you bring everything up, the pc will get its internet connection from the
router and it just works.

In fact, this router permits up to 4 pc's to share the connection (or more
with an uplink cable) as well as providing a local dhcp service to your
network.  Finally, you can set it up to provide you with network address
translation so that your local machines are on a non-routable subnet.

The biggest benefit of something like this is that it increases your machine's
security by providing an additional layer between you and the internet.