New nVidia vs FC2 and rivafb (CON'T)

Fri Jul 2 17:35:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 12:08, Greg Swallow wrote:
> Here's the rub. No matter what I try, such as has been done from this
> list, I get a garbage or invisible pointer. I need a step-by-step to
> rebuild my kernel I am sure. Anyone got somehting along these lines for
> the 2.6.7? Maybe even a .config I could grab instead of trecking through
> the dang questions (yee-yawn)?
>
> modprobe -r rivafb does nothing to change the problem for me. Figure I
> must recompile to get rid of the dang module and probably replace it
> with vesafb.
>
> Hel-el-up!

A quick thought. Did you edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf as required for the
nVidia driver?

>From the nVidia README
(ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6106/README.txt):

If you already have an X config file working with a different driver
(such as the 'nv' or 'vesa' driver), then all you need to do is find
the relevant Device section and replace the line:

        Driver "nv"
    (or Driver "vesa")

with

        Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have:

        Load   "glx"

You should also remove the following lines:

        Load  "dri"
        Load  "GLcore"

if they exist.  There are also numerous options that can be added to the
X config file to fine-tune the NVIDIA X driver.  Please see Appendix D
for a complete list of these options.

I too got the rivafb warning during the drive build, but do not use it
on my Dell 5150 laptop. All else is fine.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz