List of rpms to install mplayer on FC2 (2.6.6-1.435.2.1)

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Sat Jul 3 00:01:31 UTC 2004

> From: Chuck_Sterling <csterlin at zianet.com>
> Date: 2004/07/02 Fri PM 07:25:27 EDT
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: List of rpms to install mplayer on FC2 (2.6.6-1.435.2.1)

<snip>

> Since I did not know what order of installation was needed, I just used
> a baby script to install whatever would, then run it again and again
> until all the dependencies were finally met. Took about four passes,
> plus one more when finally I downloaded libpostproc.
>
> example of script...
> # for FILE in `ls -1 *.rpm`
> > do
> > echo $FILE
> > rpm -i $FILE
> > done
> . . .
> #
>
> </FWIW>
> Chuck Sterling

Chuck,

Couple of thoughts to make it easier for you next time....

1) Try to get used to yum or apt-get.  I am using yum at the moment, and once I modified my yum.conf file to include some other repo's, all I had to do was a "yum install xine".  Admittedly, my repo did not have a couple of additional rpm's listed as dependencies, so I needed to additionally do a "yum install libdvdcss".

2) But even if you would rather go through manual dependency h-e-double-hockey-sticks, simply download all the rpm's you think you need into one directory, from one repository site.  Then do a "rpm -Uvh *.rpm" from that directory.  The "shell expansion" will initially have the rpm's in alphabetical order, but the "preflight check" of rpm will re-order them automagically based on the dependencies.....  Seems easier than your script.  Also by using the -v switch you will see the order that they are installed in.

HTH in the future,

--Rob