New to Linux

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 3 22:38:54 UTC 2004

Andrew Konosky wrote:
> Okay, thanks for the information. I'm downloading it right now and
> getting some amazing download speed I never dreamed about in Windows.
> (376kbps!). On the download site it has the 4 isos then 4 more source
> isos. I have plenty of blank CD's, soI'll download all 4 regular cds.

Fedora is pretty much similar to RHL of the past. The major difference
is with better multimedia support with interaction with repositories,
mainly multimedia related.

Up2date works with either yum or with apt repositories and also can be
setup to work with local directories. The file is
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources. Most of the needed information is included
in the file as examples. With a clean install, the mirror automatic
search feature works pretty decent. The drawback is that some mirrors
may not be as current as others or you might get an overburdened mirror.

> Since I have a large hard drive, I will probably repartition and give
> Windows 40gb and Linux the other 40gb. Since I have downloaded Suse,
> would it be possible to install Fedora and Suse alongisde windows and
> have a "tri" boot config, or would this just be a waste of time?

You can run as many different OSes as you desire and have disk space
for. I'm not keen on the other distributions and the label vs.
devicenames between SUSE and Fedora. The schemes might need to be
changed to device references (/dev/hdx) instead of labels (LABEL=/).

I'd suggest keeping the competing distros with seperate /boot, / and any
other partitions other than /home. I keep seperate partitions for
everything with the triple booting system that I have. I do make mount
points for the other OSes to be able to access their files from each
different OS installation. (/suseboot, /suseroot as examples)

Check out the list archives for discussions related to dual booting.
There are many different schemes that all seem to work for others.

Welcome to Fedora and I hope you get it to fit your needs.

Jim

--
You may be recognized soon.  Hide.