no alsa audio

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sun Jul 4 17:41:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 12:32:37 -0400, Mike Payst wrote:

> I installed a new mobo recently with a built-in "nVidia
> Corporation|nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP)" and then upgraded FC1 to
> FC2.  This is my first time using alsa.  My only usage for audio is to
> listen to a PBS station using Real Player 8.   When I try to listen to
> the FM station, there is no audio at first.   The sound driver is loaded:
>
> # service alsasound status
> ALSA sound driver loaded.

With FC2, you should not have "service alsasound" because that script is
not included. So, where does it come from?

  rpm --query --all '*alsa*'

> I discovered that if I run "system-config-soundcard", click on "Play
> test sound", then the audio will play properly once again until the next
> reboot (I shut the machine down at night).  This sequence is very
> repeatable.

What do you have in /etc/modprobe.conf?

> Or, if I do the "Play test sound" first, then I can hear the FM station
> as soon as I start real Player.

This indicates that your alsamixer settings are insufficient.

> Despite a bunch of digging, I have not been able to figure out what
> process "Play test sound" is kicking off.  Can anyone tell me what I am
> missing?

Difficult to say as ALSA comes with two driver layers, native ALSA
(/dev/snd/*) and ALSA OSS compatibility (/dev/dsp). Much depends on
whether your applications are configured to use native ALSA or OSS.