FC2 - PCM setting never being restored.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Jul 4 17:49:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 07:53, Hans Deragon wrote:
> Greetings.
>

>   Upgraded RHL9 to FC2.  One thing that bothers me is that the PCM setting of
> the mixer is always at zero after a reboot.  The volume control is restored
> corectly, but not the PCM value.
>
>   I noticed that /etc/init.d/halt runs 'alsactl store'.  It works, because
> when I run manually 'alsactl restore', PCM value is returned where I left it off.
>
>   But nowhere do I find a 'alsactl restore' under /etc/init.d/*.  Off course,
> I could add a script, but that is not the point.  I want to know how FC2 is
> officially supposed to call 'alsactl restore'.
>
>   I defined the following in my /etc/modprobe.conf:
>
> -->
> alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1
> alias sound-slot-1 off
>
> install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe sound-slot-0; /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
> install sound-slot-* /sbin/modprobe snd-card-${MODPROBE_MODULE##sound[_-]slot[_-]}
> <--
>
>   The last line was already there and I am not sure what it does.  'alsactl
> restore' does not seam to work here.

This was magically put into my modprobe.conf at install time

_________________
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
(the second line is wrapped by the mailer)

Your last line above would do an auto modprobe on any/all sound card(s)
at boot time, but does not do the alsactl part.

Note the differences between your install line and mine. Mine does an
modprobe, explicitly not repeating the install line, and only if
successful then does the alsactl restore part.

Your problem may be related as well to doing an OS upgrade and not a
clean install (mine was clean).