FC1 mouse freezing [SOLVED]

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Sun Jul 4 20:52:24 UTC 2004

John McBride wrote:
> my mouse is freezing a lot in FC1/mozilla (my most frequently used app
> at home) might do it in other apps too, will have to watch for it, the
> only way to get cursor movement back is to ctrl-alt-fn to a virtual
> terminal and then ctrl-alt-f7 back to x.
>
> this seems to have started after my last yum update.

Replying to my own post. My PS-2 mouse was dying a slow death. As it's
life waned, the symptoms on my box grew even more bizarre.

Cube (the free doom engine game) would drop mouse/lock every 4-5 seconds
then go black. 2D apps would run for hours at a time, but eventually lock.

The mouse would work "better" in my other (normally headless) machine,
but still freeze X on the rare occasion.

Sometimes the keyboard would stop responding when the machine was booted
and Fedora tried to "Start Console Mouse Services" (gpm). Occasionally
Kudzu would sometimes find/not find the mouse (these symptoms were more
recent and really got me suspicious of the mouse).

Yesterday it died completely while I devising ways to test it :-) A new
mouse has fixed everything...several hours of gameplay now with zero errors.

---
John